🔕 🔔

My sweet limes aren't sweet OR sour. Just kind of bland. What should I do with them?

asked by linzarella over 6 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Maybe dehydrate them to intensify the flavor. zest and cut away the pith. Dry the meat and zest. Then grind to powder in a coffee grinder.
Mix with salt ground to a fine powder. Add paprika, garlic powder, ginger and white or cayenne pepper (to taste) to make a popcorn salt.
(clean you coffee grinder by grinding some rice to remove flavor).

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Pair them with another citrus to get an absolutely new unique perspective for your dish!

0337e045 7f1c 48a8 8aaa 65ec9ac96b5d  jeani photo 160 size from blog delightfulrepast

Nothing. Sweet limes are neither sweet nor sour. They are perfectly bland. There is nothing to be done with them. We once had a sweet lime tree. It was a waste of space, so we tore it out and planted a real lime tree.

2e76cf97 2d3d 429e a4b4 7be0bcf4c88d  headshot

But I've had amazing sweet limes before -- almost like meyer lemons, but limes. These were the first duds I've gotten.

I'm certainly no expert on sweet limes, but we didn't get a single tasty one from that tree that produced for three seasons before we axed it. And everyone we mentioned it to who had ever tasted a sweet lime gave them a thumbs down. I hope you find some more that you like, but I can't think of anything that wouldn't be better with regular limes. Maybe the flavorful ones you got were just a fluke? Perhaps you could talk to someone at a plant nursery about them.