What to do with noyaux/apricot kernels?

Browsing around the internet, I haven't found an answer about what to make other than ice cream. Anyone have suggestions? I have about 20 kernels.

asked by always040 over 7 years ago

Michael Hoffman
Michael Hoffman

Food52 Alum

Make liqueur! You could either make a simple alcohol and sugar version, or make creme de noyaux. You could also make "almond" extract.

always040

Any suggestions for any of those? I've been reading Garrett's account at Vanilla Garlic and now I am nervous: http://www.vanillagarlic.com/2009/07/extract-of-cyanide.html

Michael Hoffman
Michael Hoffman

Food52 Alum

That is indeed nervous-making. I knew that they contained cyanide, but I had always thought that the amounts were small enough that it'd be hard to make yourself sick at home. However, I'm far from an expert, so don't listen to me!

AJ Rathbun (in "Luscious Liqueurs") has a recipe for almond liqueur that calls for crushed peach pits (4 per 3 cups of the final product, along with almonds), but that's not terribly helpful.

Apricot kernels are sold as a Himalayan "Hunza" food, and have a reputation for being therapeutic. Many healing plants are on a continuum of neutral/healing/toxic. (Think of digitalis.) Not recommending this, just saying if you want to pursue information, it's available.