bitter beets

the beets i have are quite bitter raw, and about halfway through cooking they are not at all sweetened up. any thoughts to counterbalance the bitterness?

nutcakes
nutcakes February 21, 2011

I guess it's a bit too late to ask how you are cooking them? I don't think I have run accross bitter ones, but roasting makes them sweetest, to my taste. Dress them in a sweet dressing I suppose, or fimish cooking by pan braising with some water, butter and sugar.

innoabrd
innoabrd February 21, 2011

I grew beets one year and some of them were bitter. Nothing I could do saved them. From what I've read, sounds like it happens when it gets too dry at some point during growing.

Sam1148 February 22, 2011

The bitterness might actually work to advantage in a beet and cabbage slaw. (Google for recipes). You could jar that and use it as a side dish for a few months. Pare with some shredded carrots, dill and caraway seeds in the mix.

nutcakes
nutcakes February 22, 2011

What sam said made me think pickling them might work.