🔕 🔔

Another question about beets: what makes raw beets go soft? Saw some at the farmers' market today (very end of the market) like that.

I didn't buy them, but am wondering why they were like that. Do they taste different when cooked? Thank you. ;o)

asked almost 6 years ago

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

Old age...
When cooked they taste even sweeter if you boil them before peeling with sugar and salt,the water should taste like tear drops.Or you could roast them and see how do you like it.

0dcfb05c 8a90 480f 8cf7 cbc33e9a6b5c  me

They lose moisture, but they wind up fine once cooked!

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

It's just that they have been sitting for a bit too long. I've seen it happen a few times.But they make a perfectly fine borscht.