Another question about beets: what makes raw beets go soft? Saw some at the farmers' market today (very end of the market) like that.

I didn't buy them, but am wondering why they were like that. Do they taste different when cooked? Thank you. ;o)

asked about 7 years ago

mensaque

Old age...
When cooked they taste even sweeter if you boil them before peeling with sugar and salt,the water should taste like tear drops.Or you could roast them and see how do you like it.

wssmom

They lose moisture, but they wind up fine once cooked!

Droplet

It's just that they have been sitting for a bit too long. I've seen it happen a few times.But they make a perfectly fine borscht.