favorite one bowl cake or cookie

Looking to make something new and easy. Suggestions?

asked by ATG117 about 6 years ago

Except for brownies where you melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave then add the dry ingredients, I think most baking calls for at least 2 bowls-- one for wet and one for dry. Would 2 bowls be ok?

ATG117

2 bowls is definitely fine. I should have been more careful in my language. What I was really getting at is my desire for something quick, easy, and new. Don't have much time on my hands these days ;)

former Community Editor

Smitten Kitchen has some tasty one bowl recipes, like Everyday Chocolate Cake (http://smittenkitchen.com...) and Blondies (http://smittenkitchen.com...).

NakedBeet

The Katherine Hepburn Brownies are in one bowl (over the stovetop.) They're fudgy inside and crackly at the top, really great, and you can also modify by putting in some instant coffee.

Favorite: the chocolate cake recipe from the back of the Hershey's unsweetened cocoa box. THE BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE EVER.

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?utm_source=redirect&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=Redirect-recipes%20(asp)&id=184

TheFritschKitchen

How about one-pot?

http://biggreencookbook.blogspot.com/2012/05/warm-mocha-pudding.html

Warm Mocha Pudding. Perfect since it's starting to get cold out!

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Amanda Hesser's Chocolate Dump It Cake, our birthday cake house recipe.

ATG117

Thanks all! As noted in my response to drbabs, I actually don't mind if there is more than one bowl involved. I should have expressed my question differently. What I'm really looking for is something quick and easy that's new for me and a favorite for you.

Belle Foley's Chocolate Cake is a one-bowl feast, and comes with a great story:
http://food52.com/recipes...

jsdunbar

This is a quick, versatile recipe - & no bowl!
NO-EGG CAKE
1 1/2 c all purpose or nutri flour
3/4 c sugar
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt - optional

1t vanilla
5 T oil
1 T vinegar
1 c warm water

Stir together dry ingredients in a 9-inch cake pan.
Make a well in the centre of the ingredients & add the liquid ingredients.
Mix until smooth.
Bake in a 350 F oven for about 30 min.

VARIATIONS
For chocolate cake: add 3 T - 1/4 c cocoa
For butterscotch cake: use (dark) brown sugar instead of white sugar

I like to make it in a Pyrex cake pan so it looks nicer than in a metal one. I leave it in there, &just ice the top. OR I stir in chocolate chips or scatter them in top before baking & forget the icing altogether. One time I held a cut-out of a Christmas tree over the top & dusted over all with icing sugar..
I'm a big fan of the quick & delicious!

jsdunbar

That should be scatter the chocolate chips ON top. Sorry for the typo