🔕 🔔

Baby Turkish eggplant--ideas for use?

Fd800f37 4515 4af3 8ac3 b34059635716  baby turk

I came across these tiny, quite visually appealing little guys at a farmers market in Lewes, DE over the Labor Day weekend. The farmer referred to them as baby Turkish eggplants. They're small like the fairytale variety, but yellow/orange with stripes. Like the attached image, but not as round--I'd say more ovate. They're pretty bitter-tasting raw, and seem to have a lot of seeds. The farmer suggested simply quartering and sauteing them. Anybody here familiar with these and have any other suggestions what to do with them? I have about a pint's worth, give or take. Thanks in advance!

asked by Bogre 15 days ago

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

They sound similar to Thai eggplant (small and bitter) which are great in a coconut curry -- the spicy, creamy, pungent sauce both tames and complements their bitterness.

You can use them as you would any eggplant, but I've also read they are bitter so I'd use a strongly flavored sauce.

I would stuff them with rice, finely cut/ground lamb, onions, and spices. Look for a Middle Eastern (Lebanese) recipe for stuffed eggplant. Then I would serve them with yogurt and Toum ( Lebanese garlic aioli).

Don't know about the bitterness though. That would be a problem.

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

Imam Bayildi. Most recipes suggest salting the cut sides and letting the eggplant drain in a colander for an hour ro reduce the wateriness and bitterness.
I have made this with wedges of a large eggplant, but it's really intended to be made with small eggplants. Such amazing flavor from such simple ingredients.
BTW, I wonder if the eggplants were picked a bit early, adding to the bitterness.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Old eggplants can also be bitter, and the color and the large number of seeds made me think in that direction. I've learned that when I buy the really tiny Thai pea eggplants, I have to avoid the orange and red ones. They're bitter when they're green, but great in Thai curries. When they're red, there's no amount of coconut milk that can tame them.