Kugel w/o Oven - Ideas Appreciaed

I am hoping to make (an approximation of) noodle kugel (we only eat the salt and pepper kind of that matters) for the Jewish holidays. But we live in Japan, so we have no oven & no egg-noodles are available in our town. Suggestions?

asked by Dorie about 1 year ago

Depending on your skills, equipment and time available:
• make egg noodles from scratch (see Marcella Hasan or other reliable Italian cookbook writers)
• make the Kugel in a countertop appliance (rice cooker, instant pot)
• Make a frittata in a frying pan using regular noodles, eggs, seasonings etc (obviously not a Kugel but maybe as close as you get this year)
• learn a new local dish that has some of the qualities you value in the Kugel. add this to your holiday repertoire
:) and, happy New Year...

Here's a recipe for making kugel in a pressure cooker...sweet one, but you could use the method for your salt-and-pepper one
https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-jewish-noodle-kugel/

You could make potato kugel if all else fails. Do you own toaster oven? You could make the kugel stove top in a large saute pan, like a frittata.

Dorie

Thanks all for your replies! I don't know why I didn't think to make this in a sauté pan a la a frittata on the stove. (We have a toaster- oven like device called a Japanese fish grill, but it's tiny and I could likely only make 2 -3 servings worth in it.). And I'll have to see at another time if the potato kugel recipe can be adapted for a rice cooker.

Shanah Tovah everyone!