🔕 🔔

Soup puree separating

I am making soup... pureed some of the veggies in it...as it cools it has separated... what can I do to save it

asked by alice cassidy 3 months ago

Just guessing, this often happens with (pure) vegetable soups heavy on water/liquid and low on fat/emulsifier.
Add a fat to taste either now or when heating up to serve.
If not a vegetable soup, please tell us more or link to recipe.

Hi!! I was actually making matzo ball soup... first step for me is making chicken stock... then I remove the chicken and puree some of the veggies in it... step two is adding fresh veggies and then the balls...which have been cooked separately... it's funny... but as I was making it i noticed I didn't put nearly enough chicken in. Maybe that's the problem lol not enough chicken fat. Can u suggest how I can add more fat as I am heating it up? Thank you!!

With vegetable puree, this sounds like a variation on the usual clear chicken stock in which the matzo balls are served. I wouldn't worry about achieving a full emulsification.
Instead,
1) leave the vegetables out (save for another use) and serve matzo balls in clear soup;
2) or add the vegetables as planned, add a few tablespons of fat (chicken fat or good oil), heat up, add heated matzo balls & serve.

PS How much fat to add? start with only a little, say tablespoon per quart of soup. Taste, add salt & pepper as needed, then add more fat if you want. Always easier to add than remove.

Thank you yes... I do like a thicker soup for this version. It's matzo balls and some carrots and celery... so it's heartier with a pureed veggie base. I added some chicken fat then the carrots and celery and it tastes delicous!! Thank you for your help!!!!