🔕 🔔

Cake pan dilemma -- I offered to make a cake for this weekend.

Family recipe ( plum cake) no substitutions allowed. It calls for an 8 by 11 pan which I do not have, I am not much of a baker. I do have an appropriate size Corningware casserole probably 2 inches deep. Can I use this? Alternatives would be to find a disposable or break down and purchase something. It is a very simple yellow cake topped with halved plums and a streusle topping.

asked by caninechef 27 days ago

ktr

I'd use the casserole dish and then keep an eye on it to see when it is done.

I would think so. How tall is the cake? Is the Corningware casserole 8x11 as well? If not and you need to be the same 8x11, you can use 'aluminum foil dam' to change size (see #4 on https://www.today.com/food..., I'd probably add another foil around the new perimeter too)

The batter should fit in the Corningware without issue. It is nominally 8 by 11 but just a bit smaller than a pan would be due to rounded corners. I don't think height will be an issue. This is sort of a coffee cake looking cake when done and I never remember an issue when it was baked in a shallow aluminum pan. I have considered using a 10 inch tart pan, a foil collar might be a good idea if I do.

My cake came out great baked in the Corningware. The tart pan would have been a disaster as it is low and while the cake settled down after baking it got a bit puffy for a while in the oven. Thanks for the helpfl comments.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Glad it worked out, and wish I'd seen your post sooner! I often play fast and loose with cake pans and have baked a plum-topped cake in a Corningware souffle dish (that has never actually seen a real soufflé) as well as a glass cake pan and regular cake pans. It always seems to work out as long as I keep an eye on it and don't overbake :)