What are your favorite podcasts to listen to while you cook, food-related or otherwise?

(Other than catching up on episodes of Burnt Toast!)

asked about 1 year ago

Valhalla

The Splendid Table
The World

MMH
MMH

especially love the special Splendid Table Thanksgiving Day show - Turkey Confidential

I love to listen to:

BBC Food Programme
The Splendid Table
BBC Kitchen Cabinet
Spilled Milk

Stephanie B.

1) I love everyone else's food podcast suggestions - I think I'm missing out!
2) My favorite podcasts to listen to while baking/cooking are The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium, and NPR's Hidden Brain.

Ted
Ted

Death, Sex, and Money
Song Exploder
Bullseye with Jesse Throne
Cooking with Bruce and Mark
This American Life
99% Invisible

Zoë Ryan

I love Smart Mouth, Splendid Table, NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour, and Code Switch

Nothing. I'm probably in the minority. I don't like listening to the radio ever....nothing when I drive. There's something very soothing about listening to sounds around you.

MMH
MMH

Anything on NPR. I cooked dinner during Fresh Aire for a long time but also - This American Life, The Moth Radio Hour, On the Media from WNYC, Radio Lab, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and of course, The Splendid Table. I used to leave the kitchen tv on Food Network with the sound turned down when all the shows were instructive.

Windischgirl

Several of the ones listed below, plus Eater Upsell, Bon Appetit, 99% Invisible, This American Life, Gastropod, Science Vs., and Selected Shorts. My hubby has me listening to Masters of Scale and Stuff to Blow Your Mind, so I can understand his engineering business. There's so many good listens out there, and I find I’m more productive when I'm listening...kind of a Pavlov-dog effect going on here!

Maggie

Mike Rowe's The Way I Heard It, A Way With Words, How I Built This, and anytime Dan Carlin has a new Hardcore History series. But sometimes, I just like the sound of silence. I am the only female in a family of 8, so my kitchen is my sanctuary.

Suzanne D'Amato
Suzanne D'Amato

Suzanne is the Editor-in-Chief of Food52.

I love You Must Remember This. It's all about Hollywood secrets and scandals, dating back to the silent film era. The host is the former film critic for LA Weekly and she brings a journalist's rigor to her subject matter.

Tangential but maybe related. Interesting reviews of new Alex Guarnaschelli book, Home Cook: Recipes to Know by Heart, in favor of memorizing recipes and not relying on smart phone while cooking.
http://nypost.com/2017/10/03/why-food-obsessed-millennials-suck-at-cooking/
https://www.thedailybeast.com/iron-chef-alex-guarnaschelli-shares-her-kitchen-secrets

Gwen

Ben Franklin's World----American history, American Revolution, author and historian interviews y Liz Covart

zeldie

I prefer to listen to jazz or my collection of 6,000 various genres of songs collected over the years.
Wondery; almost anything on it
THe New Yorker
Pardes Elmad

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

This American Life. And, if I can't handle the real world, I love (excuse my language, it's the name of the podcast) Smart Bitches, Trashy Books which is all about romance writing/reading. My not at all secret reading pleasure.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Oh jeez, and if you haven't listened to Sam Sanders' It's Been a Minute, you should - it's wonderful.

Robyn7358

How do I listen to these??

It depends on your equipment.

The iTunes application on both Macs and PCs have supported podcast subscriptions for well over a decade. Even before iPhones and Android phones, you could download these on a computer then sync them to an MP3 player like an iPod.

Today, the iTunes Store features hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts.

Since the debut of the iPhone in 2007, smartphones have their own podcast/music player apps. You'll need to refer to the instructions for the individual apps on how to subscribe to new podcasts.

I believe modern streaming media devices such as Apple TV, Amazon TV, Roku, et al have some sort of podcast playback functionality. Again, you'll need to consult the instructions for whatever device in your house.

Rhonda35

Yes, Burnt Toast, of course! Other favorites are:

* The Mortified Podcast and it's Canadian twin, GrownUps Read Things They Wrote as Kids (both of these podcasts make me belly-laugh and sometimes cry.)
* Beautiful Stories from Anonymous People
* Kind World (short episodes sharing true moments when one person made a difference in another's life - very uplifting, especially in these dark days.)
* Ear Hustle
* Here's the Thing with Alec Baldwin
* Happier with Gretchen Ruben
* Reply All
* She Does
* Only Human
* Getting In: Your College Admissions Companion (We have a high school senior, so it's timely information, albeit it sometimes adds to the stress. We try to stick with our mantra of "he'll get in somewhere and as long as he's not living in our basement, we are cool with wherever that 'somewhere' is!)
* Dear Sugar
* Call Your Girlfriend

Kathryn Kim

SPOrkful

Jessica Lioon | garlicpressjess

On Being with Krista Tippett
Death Sex and Money
Dear Sugars
Splendid Table
2 Dope Queens
How I Built This
Modern Love
Ezra Klein or Tim Ferris... sometimes

MarieGlobetrotter

In terms of food podcast, I like The Sporkful, The Splendid Table and Eater Upsell are nice. I like the hosts. I also listen to some in French. Bon Appetit’s is good, too. I’m looking for interviews and food discussions rather than for cooking tips and such.

Non food podcast: Pod Save America, TrumpCast, Worldly, Vox the Weeds, It’s been a Minutes, NPR Politics, Ezra Klein Show, Slate’s Political Gabfest, With friends like these, Politico
(Yes I like politics and international affairs and despise Trump. So it is)
Other fun ones: Spawned, Mom and Dad are figting, The Longest shortest time,

Aileen

Bon Appetit's foodcast

Barbara Olson

Britain's Desert Island Discs. Famous actors, singers, writers are interviewed and choose their favorite music to take with them if they were stranded.... This BBC show has been around since 1949!! and the entire backlog is available to listen to.....

Rhonda35

Thank you for sharing this, Barbara! I listened to (and loved) a similar radio program while in college in many moons ago. Looking forward to giving Desert Island Discs some attention.

Sandy

Two Spotted Dicks on the Great British Bake-off

Pamela Huizenga-Alexander

My Dad Wrote A Porno

Carol

Happier
Note to Self
Milk Street

Marta Simmons

If it can be unrelated to cooking, I would definitely recommend all and any TED talks! I am a huge fan https://www.ted.com/about/programs-initiatives/ted-talks/ted-talks-audio. One of my favorite talks is from Ricardo Semler