What are your favorite podcasts to listen to while you cook, food-related or otherwise?

(Other than catching up on episodes of Burnt Toast!)

Valhalla
Valhalla October 3, 2017

The Splendid Table
The World

MMH
MMH October 3, 2017

especially love the special Splendid Table Thanksgiving Day show - Turkey Confidential

HalfPint October 3, 2017

I love to listen to:

BBC Food Programme
The Splendid Table
BBC Kitchen Cabinet
Spilled Milk

Stephanie B.
Stephanie B. October 3, 2017

1) I love everyone else's food podcast suggestions - I think I'm missing out!
2) My favorite podcasts to listen to while baking/cooking are The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium, and NPR's Hidden Brain.

Ted
Ted October 3, 2017

Death, Sex, and Money
Song Exploder
Bullseye with Jesse Throne
Cooking with Bruce and Mark
This American Life
99% Invisible

Voted the Best Reply!

AntoniaJames October 3, 2017

I realize this is not entirely responsive, but . . . . I listen to sports broadcast live on the radio. It's more satisfying and informative than any beat writer's coverage or highlight reel, and more interesting than TV broadcasts, plus I get to enjoy two things I love at the same time, while accomplishing whatever is the object of my cooking, baking, canning, etc. I typically plan those activities with the broadcast schedule in hand. If no event is on, I turn off the phone and enjoy the silence. Best stress buster ever. ;o)

702551
702551 October 4, 2017

Count me in with AntonioJames for the live sports radio broadcasts. My favorite sport to listen to would be baseball which has a unique cadence to all radio sports calls.

Silence in the kitchen is also great. Just listen to the food: the sizzling grill, the crackling of a sauté, gentle bubbling.

Food has a sound, sometimes it is the best thing to listen to.

AntoniaJames October 4, 2017

Yes, the sounds of a kitchen humming with whatever is in progress is music to my ears - and in many instances provide essential information. In fact, it's the sound of the tiny bubbles rapidly popping in my jamming kettle, as much as anything else, that tells me it's time to start my gel tests. (I never use a thermometer - you just don't need one to get great results using the time-honored methods.)

I'm interested to learn about the podcasts however for when I'm driving or working outside when there is no game on. So thanks, everyone. ;o)

MMH
MMH October 9, 2017

Antonia - I didn't even think about it til I read this. Baseball is my absolute fave. I love to have it on the tv in the kitchen while I am cooking. I love listening to the call while I cook. I'm getting ready for the next national league game now. Go Cubs!

AntoniaJames October 10, 2017

MMH, what's so great about baseball on the radio is that if you need to focus more closely on what you're doing while cooking, it doesn't matter if you miss a minute or two of the broadcast. Plus, you can learn so much about the players, the managers and coaches, the ballparks, etc., especially if your broadcasters are doing their job well (which for us in the Bay Area, fortunately, is all the time, every game, both local teams). Most of what I know about the game I've learned over the past 20 years from Dave, Jon, Kuip, Ken, Vince and Ray and the late, truly great Hall of Famer, Bill King.
If I'm canning (jam, blueberries in syrup, pickles, etc.) while listening to a game, I note the game / score on the jar labels with the date. ;o) P.S. I'll be thinking of you and your Cubs during this postseason.

Zoë Ryan
Zoë Ryan October 3, 2017

I love Smart Mouth, Splendid Table, NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour, and Code Switch

BerryBaby October 3, 2017

Nothing. I'm probably in the minority. I don't like listening to the radio ever....nothing when I drive. There's something very soothing about listening to sounds around you.

MMH
MMH October 3, 2017

Anything on NPR. I cooked dinner during Fresh Aire for a long time but also - This American Life, The Moth Radio Hour, On the Media from WNYC, Radio Lab, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and of course, The Splendid Table. I used to leave the kitchen tv on Food Network with the sound turned down when all the shows were instructive.

Windischgirl
Windischgirl October 3, 2017

Several of the ones listed below, plus Eater Upsell, Bon Appetit, 99% Invisible, This American Life, Gastropod, Science Vs., and Selected Shorts. My hubby has me listening to Masters of Scale and Stuff to Blow Your Mind, so I can understand his engineering business. There's so many good listens out there, and I find I’m more productive when I'm listening...kind of a Pavlov-dog effect going on here!

Maggie
Maggie October 4, 2017

Mike Rowe's The Way I Heard It, A Way With Words, How I Built This, and anytime Dan Carlin has a new Hardcore History series. But sometimes, I just like the sound of silence. I am the only female in a family of 8, so my kitchen is my sanctuary.

Suzanne D'Amato
Suzanne D'Amato October 4, 2017

I love You Must Remember This. It's all about Hollywood secrets and scandals, dating back to the silent film era. The host is the former film critic for LA Weekly and she brings a journalist's rigor to her subject matter.

Nancy October 4, 2017

Tangential but maybe related. Interesting reviews of new Alex Guarnaschelli book, Home Cook: Recipes to Know by Heart, in favor of memorizing recipes and not relying on smart phone while cooking.
http://nypost.com/2017/10/03/why-food-obsessed-millennials-suck-at-cooking/
https://www.thedailybeast.com/iron-chef-alex-guarnaschelli-shares-her-kitchen-secrets

Gwen
Gwen October 4, 2017

Ben Franklin's World----American history, American Revolution, author and historian interviews y Liz Covart

zeldie
zeldie October 4, 2017

I prefer to listen to jazz or my collection of 6,000 various genres of songs collected over the years.
Wondery; almost anything on it
THe New Yorker
Pardes Elmad

Niknud
Niknud October 4, 2017

This American Life. And, if I can't handle the real world, I love (excuse my language, it's the name of the podcast) Smart Bitches, Trashy Books which is all about romance writing/reading. My not at all secret reading pleasure.

Niknud
Niknud October 4, 2017

Oh jeez, and if you haven't listened to Sam Sanders' It's Been a Minute, you should - it's wonderful.

Robyn7358
Robyn7358 October 4, 2017

How do I listen to these??

702551
702551 October 4, 2017

It depends on your equipment.

The iTunes application on both Macs and PCs have supported podcast subscriptions for well over a decade. Even before iPhones and Android phones, you could download these on a computer then sync them to an MP3 player like an iPod.

Today, the iTunes Store features hundreds of thousands of free audio and video podcasts.

Since the debut of the iPhone in 2007, smartphones have their own podcast/music player apps. You'll need to refer to the instructions for the individual apps on how to subscribe to new podcasts.

I believe modern streaming media devices such as Apple TV, Amazon TV, Roku, et al have some sort of podcast playback functionality. Again, you'll need to consult the instructions for whatever device in your house.

Rhonda35
Rhonda35 October 4, 2017

Yes, Burnt Toast, of course! Other favorites are:

* The Mortified Podcast and it's Canadian twin, GrownUps Read Things They Wrote as Kids (both of these podcasts make me belly-laugh and sometimes cry.)
* Beautiful Stories from Anonymous People
* Kind World (short episodes sharing true moments when one person made a difference in another's life - very uplifting, especially in these dark days.)
* Ear Hustle
* Here's the Thing with Alec Baldwin
* Happier with Gretchen Ruben
* Reply All
* She Does
* Only Human
* Getting In: Your College Admissions Companion (We have a high school senior, so it's timely information, albeit it sometimes adds to the stress. We try to stick with our mantra of "he'll get in somewhere and as long as he's not living in our basement, we are cool with wherever that 'somewhere' is!)
* Dear Sugar
* Call Your Girlfriend

Kathryn Kim
Kathryn Kim October 4, 2017

SPOrkful

Jessica Lioon | garlicpressjess

On Being with Krista Tippett
Death Sex and Money
Dear Sugars
Splendid Table
2 Dope Queens
How I Built This
Modern Love
Ezra Klein or Tim Ferris... sometimes

MarieGlobetrotter
MarieGlobetrotter October 5, 2017

In terms of food podcast, I like The Sporkful, The Splendid Table and Eater Upsell are nice. I like the hosts. I also listen to some in French. Bon Appetit’s is good, too. I’m looking for interviews and food discussions rather than for cooking tips and such.

Non food podcast: Pod Save America, TrumpCast, Worldly, Vox the Weeds, It’s been a Minutes, NPR Politics, Ezra Klein Show, Slate’s Political Gabfest, With friends like these, Politico
(Yes I like politics and international affairs and despise Trump. So it is)
Other fun ones: Spawned, Mom and Dad are figting, The Longest shortest time,

Aileen
Aileen October 8, 2017

Bon Appetit's foodcast

Barbara Olson
Barbara Olson October 8, 2017

Britain's Desert Island Discs. Famous actors, singers, writers are interviewed and choose their favorite music to take with them if they were stranded.... This BBC show has been around since 1949!! and the entire backlog is available to listen to.....

Rhonda35
Rhonda35 October 8, 2017

Thank you for sharing this, Barbara! I listened to (and loved) a similar radio program while in college in many moons ago. Looking forward to giving Desert Island Discs some attention.

Sandy
Sandy October 8, 2017

Two Spotted Dicks on the Great British Bake-off

Pamela Huizenga-Alexander

My Dad Wrote A Porno

Carol
Carol October 8, 2017

Happier
Note to Self
Milk Street

Marta Simmons
Marta Simmons October 9, 2017

If it can be unrelated to cooking, I would definitely recommend all and any TED talks! I am a huge fan https://www.ted.com/about/programs-initiatives/ted-talks/ted-talks-audio. One of my favorite talks is from Ricardo Semler