🔕 🔔

I am trying to make a CAKE SIZE "Blueberry Cake Donut"... Can I fry that?

I want it to taste as good as the blueberry cake donut but I'm afraid it will still be doughy when I fry it. I don't think baking it will be the same texture.

asked by Emma McNair 9 days ago

4ab56923 ff25 48f3 92e6 497763f0b0ab  2016 03 23 09 49 22

I don't have an answer, but I have all kinds of respect for this question! Good luck!

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I think you will have a lot of difficulty with execution if you try to fry it. I'm assuming you're talking about this recipe by Erin McDowell: https://food52.com/recipes.... Since it's designed as a cake batter, it's going to be best baked as cake. I don't see how you will get a liquid cake batter to hold together as a doughnut, and especially as a single large doughnut. The idea of carrying out such a large sized fried object creates its own set of problems even if it could be done. Why not just bake Erin's carefully crafted recipe as she developed it?

86d1e9d9 3bd7 48a7 82dd cf476f517636  fb avatar

Yea frying gives me a lot of hesitation... I have a friend who loves blueberry cake donuts. Instead of a cake size cinnamon roll I proposed to make for his birthday, he would like a blueberry cake donut but cake sized. Also, I am hesitant to just use blueberry cake batter and baking it because it will loose that fried donut texture. I'll just keep checking around until find something that works. Thanks for the link for the bars, I'll look there first.

Emma McNair -
Maybe make many blueberry donuts (regular size) and pile them up in a cone like a croquembouche (French wedding cake made of pate a choux).
Then you get the taste & texture of the (regular sized) doughnut, in a birthday party presentation, large enough for a crowd.

I think u should start with regular size donut then increasing its size. If regular size or other increased size will fry perfectly then cake size donut will also fry.
Practice makes a man perfect :-) good luck.
Whenever you will succeed just upload its image on this post.

Will do! I'll keep checking around to see... it even crossed my mind to ask my favorite donut shop to use their fryer :)

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

Maybe they would make one for you.

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH

I agree with Berry Baby. There are some things which are just a better idea to purchase.

another thought, some of the issues I see with this: Possibly safety issues, (see Merrill's post about heating up a huge pot of oil and leaving it on the stove) here https://food52.com/blog.... Also, putting such a large object in oil, the outside may overcook before the inside gets done. Plus you have to keep the boiling oil at a consistent temperature. It's nice of you to want to please your friend, but will he notice the difference between an actual cake and a doughnut? and, if he specified that it should be fried, unless he's an avid cook, he might not be aware of the challenges this entails.

How about some blueberry donuts as a present and then buy or make a more traditional cake.

C3530c17 ce9c 45b2 9755 cac310550f38  pi day 2015

Maybe you could fry "funnel cakes" of the batter, then stack to make a cake?

I would use donut batter, bake it and then drop it in oil after to crisp up the outside. Might work, might not! But that's what I would try.

Maybe a blueberry cake doughnut recipe in two bundt pans. Invert one and put the other on top...boom! Giant doughnut.

I know it may not specifically be what *you are after, but the idea of a blueberry cake donut holes croquembuche will not leave my mind now.
As to your plan, I'd look for a recipe of a roll-and-cut-out style dough. (See Erin's article https://food52.com/blog..., you can make it large, but not too thick, so it should still cook quickly. Or do like Manisha suggested, and start normal sized and see how big you can get, the you can make an impressive layer cake with all the tiers.
Whatever you pick, be careful around the pot of oil!

Here's another recipe...a jelly donut (sofganiot) cake with raspberry filling.
Switch in blueberry filling and maybe it will be good for your friend's birthday.
https://food52.com/blog...