I am trying to make a CAKE SIZE "Blueberry Cake Donut"... Can I fry that?

I want it to taste as good as the blueberry cake donut but I'm afraid it will still be doughy when I fry it. I don't think baking it will be the same texture.

frecklywench
frecklywench November 12, 2017

I don't have an answer, but I have all kinds of respect for this question! Good luck!

creamtea November 12, 2017

I think you will have a lot of difficulty with execution if you try to fry it. I'm assuming you're talking about this recipe by Erin McDowell: https://food52.com/recipes.... Since it's designed as a cake batter, it's going to be best baked as cake. I don't see how you will get a liquid cake batter to hold together as a doughnut, and especially as a single large doughnut. The idea of carrying out such a large sized fried object creates its own set of problems even if it could be done. Why not just bake Erin's carefully crafted recipe as she developed it?

Emma McNair
Emma McNair November 13, 2017

Yea frying gives me a lot of hesitation... I have a friend who loves blueberry cake donuts. Instead of a cake size cinnamon roll I proposed to make for his birthday, he would like a blueberry cake donut but cake sized. Also, I am hesitant to just use blueberry cake batter and baking it because it will loose that fried donut texture. I'll just keep checking around until find something that works. Thanks for the link for the bars, I'll look there first.

Nancy November 13, 2017

Emma McNair -
Maybe make many blueberry donuts (regular size) and pile them up in a cone like a croquembouche (French wedding cake made of pate a choux).
Then you get the taste & texture of the (regular sized) doughnut, in a birthday party presentation, large enough for a crowd.

Manisha Agrawal
Manisha Agrawal November 13, 2017

I think u should start with regular size donut then increasing its size. If regular size or other increased size will fry perfectly then cake size donut will also fry.
Practice makes a man perfect :-) good luck.
Whenever you will succeed just upload its image on this post.

Emma McNair
Emma McNair November 13, 2017

Will do! I'll keep checking around to see... it even crossed my mind to ask my favorite donut shop to use their fryer :)

BerryBaby November 13, 2017

Maybe they would make one for you.

MMH
MMH November 13, 2017

I agree with Berry Baby. There are some things which are just a better idea to purchase.

creamtea November 14, 2017

another thought, some of the issues I see with this: Possibly safety issues, (see Merrill's post about heating up a huge pot of oil and leaving it on the stove) here https://food52.com/blog.... Also, putting such a large object in oil, the outside may overcook before the inside gets done. Plus you have to keep the boiling oil at a consistent temperature. It's nice of you to want to please your friend, but will he notice the difference between an actual cake and a doughnut? and, if he specified that it should be fried, unless he's an avid cook, he might not be aware of the challenges this entails.

caninechef
caninechef November 14, 2017

How about some blueberry donuts as a present and then buy or make a more traditional cake.

Liz D
Liz D November 14, 2017

Maybe you could fry "funnel cakes" of the batter, then stack to make a cake?

cranberry
cranberry November 15, 2017

I would use donut batter, bake it and then drop it in oil after to crisp up the outside. Might work, might not! But that's what I would try.

Stephanie
Stephanie November 16, 2017

Maybe a blueberry cake doughnut recipe in two bundt pans. Invert one and put the other on top...boom! Giant doughnut.

Angela
Angela November 17, 2017

I know it may not specifically be what *you are after, but the idea of a blueberry cake donut holes croquembuche will not leave my mind now.
As to your plan, I'd look for a recipe of a roll-and-cut-out style dough. (See Erin's article https://food52.com/blog..., you can make it large, but not too thick, so it should still cook quickly. Or do like Manisha suggested, and start normal sized and see how big you can get, the you can make an impressive layer cake with all the tiers.
Whatever you pick, be careful around the pot of oil!

Nancy November 18, 2017

Here's another recipe...a jelly donut (sofganiot) cake with raspberry filling.
Switch in blueberry filling and maybe it will be good for your friend's birthday.
https://food52.com/blog...