Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

How long will a blueberry pie last

I have to bake a blueberry pie around 3pm today, but will not be using it until later tomorrow night. Will it hold up? And what do you recommend as the best way to store it?

asked by Caraj about 1 year ago
88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

It'll be fine. Not as good as a freshly baked pie, but a lot of baked goods are like this (bread is a great example). That's really your call if you think you and/or your guests will enjoy it. That's the same decision you need to make any time you are serving anything outside the normal service window (fried food, fresh baked goods).

It'll end up being more like the pie sitting in some pastry shop or grocery store refrigerator case that was probably baked a day or two before.

Some people are fine eating a plastic box of two-day old sushi from the supermarket refrigerator case. Other people won't eat sushi unless they are sitting in front of the person who is making it. It's a judgment call entirely on your part.

Some things are actually better a couple days later (stews and many soups).

If you have a refrigerator that is largely free of strong odors, just leave it in the baking pan and wrap with foil.

Good luck.

B060878a 30a3 4de6 b178 d626ffef0fe8  img 1470

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Personally, I wouldn't refrigerate the pie. Since its a fruit pie it doesn't need to be refrigerated and pie crust loses a lot of its wonderful texture in the fridge (the fridge is murder on so many baked goods). Unless its a custard/cream pie, I would leave a pie out at room temperature, kept airtight, for up to 3 days. If I was planning on keeping it longer, I would freeze it.

Cav

Do you live with people who adore blueberry pie and are of a snaffling nature? If so you may find tomorrow morning it's been snaffled.

right. the answer in our house to how long does blueberry pie last was always, "no one knows...bc it's not around long enough to judge"

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Hahaha - storing a blueberry pie! Yah, it's pretty much a thunderdome situation should a blueberry pie ever appear - sharp instruments and skullduggery and out and out warfare. Never have leftovers. Dinner has been forgone in the name of blueberry pie! I believe the love of pie was the impetus behind the "eat dessert first" approach that has become the Thanksgiving tradition in our house. We eat pie at 10 in the morning and have Thanksgiving supper mid-afternoon.

I think you'll find it much better if you don't refrigerate it. There's no need with a blueberry pie. The crust will be much nicer if you let it cool, wrap it well and leave it out.