Thanksgiving dinner will be late afternoon or early evening, due to travelers arriving late. The kitchen will be busy all day. What's for lunch?

asked by Nora 10 months ago

Joanna Sciarrino
Joanna Sciarrino

Joanna is the Managing Editor at Food52

There's a big meal coming later so you'll probably want to keep lunch on the lighter side. A nice, hearty salad should do the trick. Here are some of our favorites:
https://food52.com/blog...

If you don't go with one of those, making something with substance, like beans, lentils, or hard-boiled egg, will help to tide you over to dinner.

I would do fish tacos.

Nora

Not a bad idea, but do I want my kitchen redolent of fish just then? Or to take time to cook it? Maybe black bean tacos. Or scrambled egg tacos.

Fish filets cook very quickly, plus for tacos, you can cook in advance then reheat in microwave. Here in California, one option would be to fire up the grill. I like grilled tortillas anyhow.

You can also prep some condiments ahead of time (I would do cilantro & chopped onion), Maybe rely on grocery store salsa if you don't want to make your own salsa (again which can be made ahead of time). You can even cut lime wedges ahead, store in an airtight container.

At serving time, very little you need to do other than nuke the cooked fish and warm up some tortillas.

Nora

The salads look wonderful, but also look a lot like sides for Thanksgiving dinner. Not quite what I'm after, but thanks.

Joanna Sciarrino
Joanna Sciarrino

Joanna is the Managing Editor at Food52

Ahh, I hear ya! I'm a big fan of frittata or quiche with a mixed green salad. Relatively quick and easy, and very delicious. Hope one of these recipes can work, or at least inspire you!

https://food52.com/recipes...

https://food52.com/recipes...

https://food52.com/recipes...

https://food52.com/recipes...

British afternoon tea (cold sandwiches, scones, small pastries, hot tea)...which was, after all, instituted to help people get over a long hungry period before dinner.

No lunch - late brunch.

Antipasto platter, has lots of choices on the platter salamis, cheese, pickled vegetables, olives, add sliced small bread pieces and crackers. Martha Stewart has a beautiful platter recipe online. Everyone helps themselves. Antipasto means 'before the meal' ...Happy Thanksgiving! BB

lloreen

In my family the tradition for both Thanksgiving and Christmas lunch is shrimp with cocktail sauce and homemade hummus with veggies. Light and with minimal effort. Sometimes I also do cucumber rounds topped with smoked salmon, a dollop of creme fraiche, and a sprig of dill.

Nora Grasham

what about an antipasti platter with cheese and meats and some pre-made veggies?

jamcook

Serve crudités and dip, egg sandwiches, even peanut butter... but keep it simple, and stay out of my kitchen

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

In my house we all eat a light breakfast (smoothie or plain eggs) then eat pie for lunch. Benefit of a) you're actually hungry enough to appreciate the awesomeness of the pie unlike serving it after the main meal and b) you're hungry again by the time dinner comes around. So I say eat your dessert for lunch! :)

Even better than take-out!
I presume there could be a lunch pie and and after-turkey pie, yes?

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Oh, there's no judging here. Pie is acceptable/encouraged at all times. :)

Nora

I love learning that there are traditions for Thanksgiving lunch/brunch. Especially pie. Umm, pie. Made me wonder, what have I done in the past? Then I realized the difference is, this year I have houseguests who will wake up here on Thanksgiving, need breakfast and then lunch. Usually, all guests arrive on the day or are local and show up for the big meal. So, with your help, I'll make a big pan of roasted vegetables to go with tonight's supper and the leftovers plus white beans will become soup for lunch tomorrow. And maybe pie. Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Breakfast only to power up for the work at hand, eggs , breads etc.. . We do an antipasto / charcuterie before serving thanksgiving dinner so people can eat as they arrive, here is a picture of last year's setup

Joanna Sciarrino
Joanna Sciarrino

Joanna is the Managing Editor at Food52

This is so beautiful!

So tempting. And the picture of abundance! Happy Thanksgiving, Phil.

former Community Editor

That looks incredible Phil!

Beautiful, Phil! That was my suggestion as well. It's perfect for a large group and everyone helps themselves. Happy Thanksgiving!

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Thanks Joanna, it's actually a 6 ft plank I bought at Lowes. Couldn't find a big enough cutting board!

Stephanie B.

We do brunch on Thanksgiving - usually I don't plan that but this year it's cinnamon rolls that just have to be baked on T-day. And since I handle the vast majority of the Thanksgiving dinner cooking, I reserve the right to not do any meal planning/prep for the rest of day. Usually one or more early arriving guests is on "snack duty". I like it because there's always something for people to snack on regardless of when they arrive, no one is super hungry throughout the day, but since it's been light eating all day there's always an appetite for the big meal.

Amaatta Lee

I'm serving homemade spinach artichoke dip in a crock pot with tortilla chips and fruit and veggie plates

My mother always put out sliced (or pickled) vegetables, cured meats (or smoked salmon), crackers, cheese -- things that can sit out for a while. This way, guests arriving at different times can put together a snacky lunch, and you don't have to cook a whole other meal!