🔕 🔔

Reheating a vegetable dish for Thanksgiving

Happy thanksgiving Food52ers! I need some help...I volunteered to bring brussels au gratin for thanksgiving but we are arriving early, 4 hours before turkey eating. What’s the best way to keep this dish from going soggy and brown? We’ve got halves brussels, bacon, cream, cheese, all the yummies. Thanks and hope all your meals are delightful if not fun to make.

asked by Sarah Doyle-Brown 24 days ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Hi Sarah, sounds like it could be a bit tricky—but I think one foolproof way to distract people would be to wait till closer to serving time to broil some sort of yummy, crunchy breadcrumby topping on top. That way, the base can be rewarmed and the top will be fresh and crunchy. (I would try not to overcook the brussels from the get go, too.)

I also want to apologize for the delayed response—we've been trying to get answers out in 10 minutes or less (and mostly succeeding!).

639a276b 82b4 42d4 b717 acfa0f719458  stringio

Kristen, no need to apologize. It would be easier if I was doing potatoes. Thanks for all that you do!