Reheating a vegetable dish for Thanksgiving

Happy thanksgiving Food52ers! I need some help...I volunteered to bring brussels au gratin for thanksgiving but we are arriving early, 4 hours before turkey eating. What’s the best way to keep this dish from going soggy and brown? We’ve got halves brussels, bacon, cream, cheese, all the yummies. Thanks and hope all your meals are delightful if not fun to make.

Kristen Miglore November 22, 2017

Hi Sarah, sounds like it could be a bit tricky—but I think one foolproof way to distract people would be to wait till closer to serving time to broil some sort of yummy, crunchy breadcrumby topping on top. That way, the base can be rewarmed and the top will be fresh and crunchy. (I would try not to overcook the brussels from the get go, too.)

Kristen Miglore November 22, 2017

I also want to apologize for the delayed response—we've been trying to get answers out in 10 minutes or less (and mostly succeeding!).

Sarah Doyle-Brown
Sarah Doyle-Brown November 22, 2017

Kristen, no need to apologize. It would be easier if I was doing potatoes. Thanks for all that you do!