Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

WILL BRUSSELS SPROUTS LEAVE DARKEN OR WILT IF PEELED IN ADVANCE?

For Thanksgiving this year, I'm thinking of peeling the leaves from the Brussels Sprouts and sautéing them with a bit of bacon, a splash of lemon and some hazelnuts for garnish. Since this is a labor intensive activity, does anyone know if the peeled Brussels Sprouts leaves will darken or seriously wilt if I do the peeling a day or two in advance? There's no way I can do this the date of the feast. Thanks in advance for your help!

asked by Jennifer about 1 year ago
40679432 73ff 4750 a825 013d50b38006  onionavatar
Michael Hoffman

Software Engineer at Food52

I always cut my Thanksgiving sprouts in advance. They're just fine in a ziplock bag. They don't oxidize at all!

41127bd3 72ff 4d4a 9406 bb83fa8bfbed  img 0275

That sounds delicious, just might try that myself!

Cutting sprouts, leaving the leaves on the base/core of the sprouts is one thing; peeling off individual leaves is another. They may not oxidize, but they might get tougher. Frankly, I don't know. It also may depend on how fresh the Brusslies are, how recently they were removed from the stalk, etc.

To be safe and not sorry, I would do a test run. You have plenty of time, so just get a handful from the source where you are likely to be buying what you'll be serving (granted, it won't be the same picking) and see what happens. Also, if you can get a stalk, I suspect they'll hold better.

Finally, I recommend seeing what happens if you brine them for a few days. I always put my cut Brusslies in a solution of water (a couple of big pinches / quart of filtered water), following the instructions of Irma Rombauer in her 1943 Joy of Cooking. (No, she didn't lean in to share this. It's just in the book; it works much better than blanching, for whole sprouts, because the outer leaves don't get mushy.) Brining preserves the bright green color. I've done this up to 3 days in advance for whole / half Brussels sprouts. Put them in the fridge, of course. Nice and perky! If you're sauteing, you'll want to spin them dry and then pat with / roll up in a clean tea towel. I'd probably let them sit uncovered to air dry for an hour before using.
Please do let us know what you end up doing.
Thank you. ;o)

328ead6b 1e11 42b9 b16a c47b5d71e143  252503 2142188837733 1336583814 2609155 6193598 n

If you're in NY City, I know Fairway has packaged shredded sprouts. I've used them for a catering event to save time. Otherwise, prepping loose sprouts a day or two beforehand will work.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I also frequently prep brussels sprouts a day or so ahead and store in a ziplock, whether simply trimming their ends/removing outer leaves, halving/quartering, or slicing them thinly. They do fine - no texture, color or taste issues. (In fact, their tolerance of advance prep is one reason I like to make them for, e.g., Thanksgiving.)

Thank you all for your answers and expertise. Wow, what a great community of cooks! I've tried shredding the sprouts and while I like the texture for 'hash' or 'slaw', I prefer the leaves whole. I now feel confident I can peel them in advance, but will probably try to find sprouts still on the stalk and also make them in advance. Great excuse to try balsamic vinegar instead of lemon to see if they're just as good (or better). Thanks again to all of you for your answers!

We dont care in the UK, I start boiling mine for Chrimbo diner on Dec the 1st