Thin gravy - how to thicken

Hi. I am making made ahead gravy (Mark Bittman recipe). I followed exactly, but my gravy is so thin. How can I fix this? Add more flour??

asked by Ellie Landau 10 months ago

Hi Ellie, here's what my mom recommends! Put a little flour in a jar with a lid, add some cool water, and shake it up. Then add a little of the hot gravy at a time to the jar, shaking it up as you go (this is to bring the temperature up gradually so the flour doesn't clump). Then, once the jar mix is warm, whisk it back into your gravy and continue cooking and whisking until the flour has cooked through and thickened the flour. If it's still too thin, you can do this again. If it gets too thick, just add a little more liquid (water, stock, milk, wine....).

Ellie Landau

Thank you so much!!!! Your mom sounds amazing:):) HappyThanksgiving!

She is! She would like you to know that you can also just keep simmering it down and it will thicken thanks to evaporation :)