How to make mac n cheese creamier

I'm about to start an Onion Soubise Mac n Cheese (http://www.saucemagazine.com/blog/?p=27263) for Thanksgiving and suddenly remembered I've always wanted the dish to be creamier, but don't know how to tweak while keeping it balanced. Is it just a matter of adding more milk? Or should I switch to heavy cream? Thanks in advance!

asked by Debora Morgan about 1 year ago

Hi Debra, subbing in some cream for the milk would definitely be the easiest way to make it creamier (and delicious!). I wouldn't add more milk—that would likely make it runnier, unless you up the flour in the bechamel, too.

Debora Morgan

Thanks! I'm gonna see if I can grab some before the stores close :)

Good luck! I'm sure there are other tricks you could pull if not (let us know!), but that's the most surefire swap to keep things in balance.

Debora Morgan

That worked out perfectly, thank you! :)

If you can't buy cream in time, make the bechamel not with equal amount flour and butter, but slightly more butter.

htimsirok

Are you making baked Mac n Cheese or a stovetop recipe? Stovetop will always be creamier than a baked version.

I agree. I make ours on the stovetop and then pop it under the broiler until the top is browned. Keeps the center creamier.

Stephanie G

More sauce to noodles ratio will also make it more creamier.

Swapping out the traditional roux for evaporated milk produces a creamier mac and cheese on the stovetop and oven.