Cheese sauce too onion-y. Help!

Making Alton Brown's mac and cheese for Thanksgiving - decided to boil pasta and make bechamel cheese sauce the night before, and store them separately before mixing immediately tomorrow before baking in a casserole. Slight problem upon tasting the sauce at midnight - it is way too onion-y. Strained the sauce of chopped onions in a last ditch attempt, as I know onions grow stronger as they sit. Is there any way I can salvage?

asked by Matt almost 2 years ago

I don't have a magic cure, but maybe someone will. If not, just make a batch of became with no onions. You can add a little of the oniony batch if you'd like some onion flavor.

Matt

Thanks! Good idea! Wish there was a quick fix, but slowly resigning myself to waking up earlier tomorrow to make another bechamel if I have to. (The only problem is that I am out of Monterrey Jack and Extra Sharp Cheddar, with only leftover regular sharp cheddar as a backup...). A friend I've been talking to during my midnight meltdown says it's possible my senses are overwhelmed by undercooked onion at this point, and the sauce could end up fine tomorrow because I strained said undercooked onion. A lesson to always read the comments on online recipes (turns out other people have had similar onion nightmares!)

Hopefully, it will taste normal after a good night's sleep. If not, stores are open tomorrow at least here on the west coast. Good luck. :)

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris