How can I get rid of the pickling smell in mason jars?

I use mason jars both for pickling and for storage (i.e. granola, flours, nuts, etc.). I was packing up something yesterday and realized that half my jars smell like vinegar and onions! Dish soap is not helping. Any tips for getting the scent out so that I don't have to reserve certain jars for pickling?

asked by Kate 10 months ago

Jennifer

Try washing them with a paste of baking soda and water. Let the jars sit (with the paste rubbed on the inside) for a bit before washing/rinsing. (I have de-scented Tupperware by leaving the baking soda paste sit on it overnight.)

Or, use a dilute solution of bleach & water.
Leave several hours as with the b-soda & water.
After rinsing, dry and DONT put lids and rings back on, especially used lids and rings.