Tip of the Day, powered by Braun

For a still-fancy holiday main that isn’t a ubiquitous roast, look to the sea—dishes like this walnut-crusted trout are just as impressive. If you ever need to chop nuts quickly, whether for the crust or something totally different (like stuffing or a pie), a hand blender like Braun’s MultiQuick 9 does the job better than a knife.

• Posted by: Food52
  • December 9, 2017

sexyLAMBCHOPx December 9, 2017

Food52 has jumped the shark. :(

Amanda Hesser December 10, 2017

Adding my note here as well: Thanks all for weighing in. We agree that our approach was wrong here -- and it's our mistake because we're the ones who suggested it to Braun. We're an ad-supported business and we're proud to be working with brands like Braun. Our goal when we work with brands is always to find ways to expand on what we cover or to serve you better, as we did with the same brand for our Holiday Menu Maker: https://food52.com/holiday....... Occasionally, though, we miss the mark. We appreciate your feedback -- we'd much rather hear from you so we can get better. Happy holidays, all!

creamtea December 9, 2017

However, this is the F52 Hotline, where questions are asked and answered. Personally, I do not come here for commercial advertisements, Really not appreciated.

sexyLAMBCHOPx December 9, 2017

The cookbook club on Facebook pitches the shops products and non related cookbook of the months posts. oh well. free content and still place to talk food.

sexyLAMBCHOPx December 9, 2017

Coincidence, but I just looked up a recipe I make often for reference and Braun is now situated in the recipe instructions! Ugh. I guess other food sites do advertiser/product placement so why not, F52 guess. It's a business not a NFP.

https://food52.com/recipes...

This concludes my whining (for now). Love the site : )

creamtea December 9, 2017

Yeah, I just did a recipe search for "walnut crusted trout" and found the source of the "pitch", where one of the eds has suggested using this device. sigh. I hope headnotes in recipes submitted by users won't get hacked in this way. "tip of the day powered by Braun." Geez.

702551
702551 December 9, 2017

No one can please everyone all the time, not here, not anywhere else on the Internet, nor anywhere in the universe.

I will refrain from voicing my specific opinion about the use of commercial posts in a Q&A help forum but at some point I will voice my explicit opinion about this practice.

If the "friendly editors at Food52" wish to continue on this path, I wish them the best of luck.

Check to you.

Voted the Best Reply!

amysarah December 10, 2017

This is disappointing. The shop and promo content are so dominant at F52 these days, that I've thought of Hotline as its last truly community-centric bastion (warts and all.)

Obviously, it's the editors' prerogative and I'd assume part of an overall marketing strategy. But continuing to posit 'community' as the heart of the site feels increasingly disingenuous. Once true to its identity, sadly it has gradually come to feel more like empty branding-speak. To me.

AntoniaJames December 10, 2017

Very well said, amysarah. My sentiments exactly, especially with respect to the increasingly pervasive (and altogether off-putting) "empty branding-speak." ;o)

Amanda Hesser December 10, 2017

Thanks all for weighing in. We agree that our approach was wrong here -- and it's our mistake because we're the ones who suggested it to Braun. We're an ad-supported business and we're proud to be working with brands like Braun. Our goal when we work with brands is always to find ways to expand on what we cover or to serve you better, as we did with the same brand for our Holiday Menu Maker: https://food52.com/holiday.... Occasionally, though, we miss the mark. We appreciate your feedback -- we'd much rather hear from you so we can get better. Happy holidays, all!