Why did my pie crust leak butter significantly during baking?

I LOVE Erin McDowell and made both her puff pastry and pie crust this Christmas. I have been baking pies for years with varied success. I tried her flaky butter crust for fruit pies. I was confused by the instruction to leave the butter chunks the size of walnut halves. I did leave the butter chunks much larger than usual. When I baked the pies the butter melted out of the crust significantly (smoke everywhere!). The final result was crisp and more like phyllo dough. Any thoughts? I did chill then rolled out and froze the dough for a few days prior to baking. Thawed overnight in fridge before baking ( in case you think that had a bearing). I would really appreciate your thoughts. Thank you

Bethdobbing
  • 1 Comment

1 Comment

Lori T. December 26, 2020
I suspect the culprit lies in the size of the butter chunks left in the pastry dough. I know Erin says to leave lumps the size of walnut halves, but the best I can figure, her walnuts must be significantly smaller than the ones I get. I stop at pea size because otherwise it's just too much melted butter in any one spot for the flour around it to absorb fast enough to prevent leakage. Actually, I prefer to use a technique known as fraisage, which leaves thinner layers instead of lumps in my pie pastry dough. It is also possible you rolled the dough a bit thinner than expected, which is why you ended up with a more phyllo dough result than pie crust.