🔕 🔔

I made 3 different kind stuff of cookie doughs (all resting in fridge) and accidentally used bread flour instead of AP. Will they be horrible? Thanks!

The doughs are for rugelach, hazelnut thumbprints, and roll out butter cookies, all of which are resting in the fridge and haven’t been baked off yet. Really hoping they won’t be tough and crumbly! Thoughts?

asked by Alexa Prendergast 2 months ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Christina Tosi uses King Arthur bread flour in her cookie recipes in Milk Bar. I hope your cookies are awesome.

83b2f7bb 6d57 4b26 a96e f27f66b1e409  14355058 10103657439758468 7616383974552013464 n

They might be a little more tough than usual, but since most cookie recipes don't get lot of mixing or kneading, I bet they'll still turn out well.

3d6b515c 5134 4af9 8148 ce3943eda528  1px white

At this point, it's already a sunk cost. You've made the three doughs, nothing will change that.

Just shape a couple of cookies from each, bake them and find out for yourself if you find the end product acceptable for whatever purpose you had in mind.

If the quality of a given bungled cookie dough is acceptable, proceed with baking off the rest of the batch. If something doesn't come up to your quality levels, then forget it, save yourself the time and expense (oven power).

kim

You should have no problem. I ran out of AP flour and substituted my bread flour. Absolutely no difference in taste, texture or baking.