How can I make ahead a stew containing rice. I don't want the rice to absorb the liquid and get gummy.

I'm making a Southern chicken stew (shredded chicken, chicken broth, onions, tomato juice, rice, mustard) for 25 people.

JessieLK
JessieLK March 2, 2011

Add big chunks of potato and remove them later. It works pretty well.

SKK March 2, 2011

How about cooking the rice separately and adding it to the rest of the ingredients when you warm the dish up?

Soozll
Soozll March 2, 2011

Cook them separately and keep them separate. Scoop the rice into the bowl and serve the stew over it. They can both be warmed separately as well and served as before.

chantalemarie
chantalemarie March 2, 2011

I agree with SKK and Soozll. This is how its done in restaurants. We always par cook risotto then spread it on to sheet pans to cool quickly. When we get an order or two we just heat up what we need. Rice could could be steamed briefly to reheat but be sure to wrap it well. Dry heat (oven) would probably be better if it is fully cooked. Maybe the oven in foil with a little fat to keep it from drying out, or reheated in batches in a skillet.

pierino March 2, 2011

All of the previous advice is good on handling rice---similar to what I do for gumbo. But then there's this other side of me that asks, "what's wrong with gummy?" As in the starch does work to thicken it. That's not a displeasing aspect to me.

Panfusine
Panfusine March 2, 2011

try lightly toasting the rice before cooking it

betteirene
betteirene March 2, 2011

Once rice gets past a 15 or 20 minute soak in a hot liquid, it will have absorbed all the moisture it can contain. Beyond that, its ends begin to splay, then the rice turns glutinous, then it disintegrates into tiny white granules, which makes for lousy leftovers of chicken and rice soup.

With 25 people depending on you for dinner, I think you should play it safe. Either cook the rice separately from the stew as suggested above, or add the raw rice to the stew no more than 20 minutes before serving time.

Nora
Nora March 3, 2011

Lots of good advice, and I'm keeping that info from chantalemarie!

ChefDaddy
ChefDaddy March 3, 2011

Panfusine has the right answer. Toast your rice in a little oil or butter before adding it to the stew and this problem will be solved.