🔕 🔔

Stove top help! High heat = high splatter, what is the best way to clean? I find that wiping everything down while still warm helps, but still can't manage to get the stove as clean as I'd like. What's the secret?

asked by ellrgee almost 7 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

What kind of stove do you have? If it's a glass-topped electric stove, the special scraper/sponge/cleaning solution that's made specially for it works well, but you can't clean it while hot--you have to wait till it cools (except, I think, for burnt sugar substances--that you have to tackle while the stove is warm).

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

You could also use a splatter screen to minimize that clean up.

Also, to prevent splatters, consider using a wok in circumstances where it won't affect the outcome of the recipe. The higher sides keep splattering to a minimum. Also, if it's feasible, pat dry whatever you're putting into oil that's causing it to splatter. A clean tea towel is great for this. It won't affect the outcome, except in many instances to improve it (for other reasons), because the moisture on the outside of vegetables, meat or fruit that you've just wiped would have splattered off onto your stove and counter anyway. ;o)

Eb2a084b 3da7 4566 a75b cf5cb31c07dc  me

Baking soda - make a paste of baking soda and water, and use it with a sponge to get off the stuck-on stuff.

I use a little dishwasher detergent if it's really bad because it cuts grease really well, but mostly I just use Bon Ami.

445e20c3 ae7c 4384 a5f7 c63a3b70db4d  img 2825

I have a Wolf stove, and, like Amanda, find ammonia + water cleans without streaks. If it's not too bad, I use dish soap.