Should I pay attention to the expiry date on my jar of molasses or just hope for the best?

asked by @ddot_ over 7 years ago

thirschfeld is right. Molasses is acidic, so it will mold slowly, but it will mold, especially if you skin - like cleaning off the big drip with your finger - has come in contact with it. You can refrigerate it, but that makes it almost unusable without warming, which can encourage mold growth. Hold it up to the light and hope for the best!

Opps! Engage proofreading skills. "your" skin.

ddot

Thanks! I held the jar up to the light and hoped for the best. Apple gingerbread is delicious (and not suspicious at all).

So where's the recipe!

ddot

I don't think it's online... adapted from 3191 Quarterly's Pear Gingerbread recipe.
http://3191ayearofmornings...

Oh thank you!

From my history of selling bulk natural foods:
Once our 5 gallon bucket of blackstrap molasses got bubbly and when nearly full was very slowly seeping out of the bucket. I don't know why that happened.
Molasses was a key ingredient in colonial American life. They didn't have expiration dates. I suppose they knew to keep the container clean, cool and dry. It was too precious to waste!