Should I pay attention to the expiry date on my jar of molasses or just hope for the best?

• Posted by: @ddot_
  • March 4, 2011

Voted the Best Reply!

thirschfeld
thirschfeld March 4, 2011

the only thing you might need to worry about but I have rarely seen it is mold. If you hold the jar up to the light and see a tumor looking thing floating in the middle it is time for it to go. The only time this usually happen is if it was contaminated with a dirty spoon or something.

boulangere March 4, 2011

thirschfeld is right. Molasses is acidic, so it will mold slowly, but it will mold, especially if you skin - like cleaning off the big drip with your finger - has come in contact with it. You can refrigerate it, but that makes it almost unusable without warming, which can encourage mold growth. Hold it up to the light and hope for the best!

boulangere March 4, 2011

Opps! Engage proofreading skills. "your" skin.

ddot
ddot March 4, 2011

Thanks! I held the jar up to the light and hoped for the best. Apple gingerbread is delicious (and not suspicious at all).

boulangere March 4, 2011

So where's the recipe!

ddot
ddot March 4, 2011

I don't think it's online... adapted from 3191 Quarterly's Pear Gingerbread recipe.
http://3191ayearofmornings.com/shop/

boulangere March 4, 2011

Oh thank you!

susan g March 5, 2011

From my history of selling bulk natural foods:
Once our 5 gallon bucket of blackstrap molasses got bubbly and when nearly full was very slowly seeping out of the bucket. I don't know why that happened.
Molasses was a key ingredient in colonial American life. They didn't have expiration dates. I suppose they knew to keep the container clean, cool and dry. It was too precious to waste!