🔕 🔔

pomegranate molasses - expiration date and substitues

I bought a bottle of pomegranate molasses and realized the best by date on bottle expired a year ago... can it still be used? also, should it be stored in pantry or fridge? can I substitute pomegranate grenadine for molasses?

asked by TriciaD almost 3 years ago

Generally, I keep in fridge & use it within six months. But it's like jam - the heavy amount of sugar acts as a (natural) preservative. So if no mold, taste and use if it still has good taste. If pomegranate grenadine has natural ingredients, use as a substitute but you may need to reduce it by 1/3 to 1/2, to approximate pom-molasses thicker texture. If artificial grenadine (many or most) don't use. Another sub is a combination of lemon juice & sugar or lemon juice & a berry jam (not exact, but similar results in recipe).

TriciaD - did some further checking. Seems 2 yr is estimated minimum, and many people have used product for years with ok quality. All agree on storing in fridge.