What to do with trail mix?

Someone gave me a bunch of trail mix and it has some good stuff in it- pistachios, m&ms, dates, almonds, seeds etc. But I dont eat loose trail mix:( I tried putting in on yogurt this morning and it was kinda gross because of the salt level. Any ideas what I can do with it so all that good stuff doesnt go to waste?

asked by Jennifer W 9 months ago

C Sangueza

i would take out the m&m's and mix it into a bowl of oatmeal.

ktr
ktr

If the salt is an issue, you could try rinsing the mix off with water and then spreading it on a baking pan and drying it off in the oven.

I would make Nigella Lawson's Breakfast Bars,
https://www.nigella.com...

I think the saltiness would work really nicely with the sweetened condensed.

Bake it in something where the salt will be balanced by other flavors.
And reduce or omit any salt in the original recipe, to bring total salt levels in the dish down to acceptable level.
Ideas:
▪ Energy bar (with oats or other whole grain)
▪Rice pudding, sweet or savory
▪Noodle pudding, sweet or savory
▪Divide into quarter or half cup portions and freeze. Then use (sparingly) in banana or other quick breads instead of the raisins or nuts the recipe calls for.
▪Add to some Indian rice preparations for crunch, protein and touch of sweetness. There, the spices and fat will dominate the flavor profile & the salt will be a minor note.

Alyssa

Mix with oats, honey/maple syrup, some oil or butter, and bake into trail mix bars. Great to wrap and freeze, or tuck in your purse and have along for an emergency snack!

Jennifer W

This is basically what I ended up doing- I mixed in 3/4 c natural peanut butter and 1/4 c honey for 3 c of trail mix and 1/2 c oats and made trail mix balls- Thanks for the suggestion:)

Take out the m&ms. Process the other ingredients in a food processor, adding more dates, or dried cherries, to get a good, rollable consistency - along the lines of these (excellent) date cashew balls: https://food52.com/recipes... I make these regularly, substituting different kinds of nuts and dried fruit for variety. They hold in a tightly lidded container for at least 2 weeks. ;o)