Extra Baklava filling Uses?

I made some the other day and have a lot of the filling left over. I don't want to make more baklava bites because handling the phyllo is slightly painful. I used Giada's recipe as a base but it made wayyyyy more filling than I anticipated. I don't want to waste the filling since I used good quality mix of nuts (almonds, pistachios, walnuts) mixed with honey, butter, cinnamon, plain breadcrumbs, etc. One idea that springs to mind is to use the filling in mini tart shells? Open to other suggestions as well!

asked by Lost_in_NYC over 3 years ago

Aliwaks

What about those pre-formed little filo cups they sell ? You can fill them and they are just almost baklava.

Alexandra V. Jones

I had a lady use my baklava recipe, as a topping for cheesecake! It looked incredible! But you could also top panna cotta or ice cream.

keg72

I'd take a look at coffee cake recipes where nuts are included in the filling/topping and sub in your mixture. Or, use it as a topping for a fruit crumble (perhaps with the addition of a little cold butter and flour to hold it together). It could probably also work as a filling for cinnamon rolls, although again you might have to adjust your mixture slightly. I wouldn't want to let it go to waste either!

nicw problem to have. Mix with cooked rice or noodles abd a simple custard to get either rice pudding or a sweet noodle cake (Kugel). because of high sugar content, will also freeze well, if you don't use it all now.

P.S. forgot to say, you should bake these after mixing the cooked grain, raw custard & baklava filling.

I bet it would make an amazing fruit crisp topping. I also think it would be great stirred into morning oatmeal or incorporated into a baked french toast recipe.

You could try making a batch of thumbprint cookies.

TobiT

This might be totally whacked, but I'd be tempted to use it almost as a pesto on fresh pappardelle. Maybe as a brunch dish. Depending on how sweet it is, you might want to add some more ground nuts. Though of course it would still be on the sweet side.
Not a conventional use, but might be kind of fun!

To iT - I think it sounds Interesting. Also, made me think of using the sweet nut filling as a paste (presto) to garnish fresh fruit...pineapple, pear, apple, orange, berries. Also on ice cream, with or without the fruit.

Not wacky. Add to egg noodles for kugel.

Lost_in_NYC

Thanks Everyone for the suggestions! Fortunately/Unfortunately the mixture also has breadcrumbs in it (trust me its good!) so I may have to go the dessert route.

BavarianCook

I'd use it for "Bratapfel" - an oven baked apple. Hollow the core out of the washed apple, insert the baklava filling, and bake in the oven with a little apple juice (or perhaps calvados) drizzled over the top.