My mom found two of these in her work kitchen. Do you know what they are?

F4d99429 cca4 4a8d a99d 3548ed0e4976  20180311 174536

My mom found two of these in her work kitchen. They are the exact same and have no markings

asked by Rachelwrites 9 months ago

Do you have another picture? This looks like maybe something they dug up in Roswell.

Rachelwrites

Here's another

I think you have it- the double handles would certainly make sense for that.

Not so sure about the canning thing. Normally you can in the storage container (like a mason jar). Sticking the mason jar in this bain marie might be a little awkward when you need to pull it out.

I was under the impression that a more common canning device was a wire rack, letting the hot water flow out when you remove the holder from the water.

This device seems more appropriate for holding a sauce, custard, whatever during a restaurant service, not as a carrier to hold other recipient containers.

At least that's the way I would use it.

Looks like a bain-marie. Two of them fit into a round stockpot.

Rachelwrites

Like for canning?

Rachelwrites

Ah! I understand what you're saying!

This is a canning rack:

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Canning-VICTORIO-VKP1056/dp/B0039PMJW0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520822281&sr=8-2&keywords=canning+rack

It is designed to support a number of canning containers (like mason jars) and be easy to pull in and out of the water bath.

The half-circular bain marie does not allow for water to pass through so manipulating the canning jars is far more awkward.

I still think the primary function of your photographed item is a bain-marie for sauces.

Rachelwrites

Thanks!

irina

I have a pot shaped like that and my husband's cousin has the other match.
During WWII it was used to cook two dishes on one burner because of gas rations.
Came from my late mother in law.

I've seen those half-circle pots, but typically they have handles. Also, the item pictured here appears to be made of aluminum and does not show wear consistent with a WWII-era kitchen utensil (especially since aluminum is so soft).

Here is a half-circle pot at eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm...

one that shows wear more consistent with something that is 50, 60, 70+ years old.

Moreover, the item photographed above does not have a handle suitable for stovetop use but a pair of wire lifting handles, more evidence that it was designed to be submerged in another vessel.

marjorie jackson

it looks like an insert to an older style pressure cooker.