🔕 🔔

How long does homemade ricotta keep in the fridge? I made some yesterday and have far more than I need for current projects. Thanks!! ;o)

Thinking about putting some in a loaf of bread . . . when all is said and done (i.e., all recipe for which I have plans), I'll have two cups or so left over.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

It goes bad pretty fast. I made some awhile back, and if my recall is correct it was sour about 10 days later. Hope someone has a more accurate time frame. I'd definitely try to use it sooner than later. Don't you love home made ricotta?

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

I don't think you will get an accurate time frame you just have to keep and eye on it. It will smell sour and sometimes turn sorta pink.

496e3e21 39ca 4097 9452 893af2b65dbb  port2

I'd say not more than 3 oraybe 4 days, safely. Keep it packed tight on the top shelf of the fridge. Freezing it destroys its texture, so you may as well find a great recipe for an early spring cake involving 2 cups of ricotta and enjoy it :)

Personally, I'd go for this old Marcella Hazan recipe, a classic. And irresistible.

Sweet Ricotta Fritters
450g fresh ricotta
4 eggs
10-11 tbsp plain flour
zest of 2 lemons
2 heaped tbsp castor sugar
40g melted butter
about 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
about one-third cup honey, for drizzling
ground cinnamon, for dusting

Beat ricotta till smooth; add eggs and beat until combined.

Add flour a little at a time, working it into the ricotta. Then add the lemon zest, sugar and melted butter and beat until combined. The consistency should not be wet and sloppy but not dry either: add a little more flour if necessary. Rest for 10 minutes.

Heat a heavy-based pan with enough oil to come 2cm up the sides. When hot, gently push in spoonfuls of the ricotta mixture and cook, turning, until lightly golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.

To serve
Serve immediately with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Serves 4.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

it usually starts tasting 'different' after 3 days. to keep it for a longer time, I pack it into freezer bags after crumbling it with a fork (so that it doesn't freeze into one big clump). keeps for a long time this way, or else, yes, as thirschfeld mentioned, it starts getting a salmon pink tinge & a sour odor!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

You can use a cup in Cottage Cheese-Dill Bread. I found a recipe in Molly Katzen's Enchanted Broccoli Forest, a version of what was a big hit -- 80's maybe? Graced many a brunch table... I don't think there's any problem with the sub.

I'd think Ricotta Gnocchi would be a great use for your ricotta. I would hate to see it spoil.

I have never had any left to find out how long it lasted. We always manage to use it all up in a day or two.

If you're making an Indian Dal with the whole masoor that you had mentioned in another post, crumbling this into the dal prior to serving adds a lovely texture & creaminess reminiscent of Dal Makhni.