🔕 🔔

Can I make ricotta using milk that's been kept in a cold fridge, in an unopened jug, but is a few days past the sell-by date? Thanks! ;o)

It's not actually true ricotta (as in re-cooked whey) that I'm making. I'd like to make Jennifer Perillo's Creamy Homemade Ricotta. Thanks, everyone. ;o)

A7132580 ab6d 4637 9b1a ed4f3f514400  scplogoblog

Yes, unless it is obviously spoiled (a quick whiff will alert you!). In fact, even tangy milk is excellent for cheese making, it's not until you get to the seriously funky chunky stage that red flags wave.

Milk is actually good for quite some time beyond the marked date.

783b5334 3415 40c6 8994 2245307bc4b2  img 0036

The only time my ricotta ever fails is when any or all of my ingredients are a little old and they are open. It's only happened a couple of times, but I have had the recipe fail with older ingredients. Just FYI.

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

You surely can, especially since it hasn't been opened, which means that no outside bacteria has been introduced into the jug. I wouldn't drink it straight but for ricotta it is fine. As an alternative to the creamy ricotta, if you don't want to risk wasting extra cream, you could do just a plain milk, lemon juice and salt batch, drain it well and then make yourself some baked ricotta, which can later be crumbled on salads.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Just a guess: when you make yogurt you scald the milk as the first step, to kill bacteria that would inhibit or spoil the culturing process. I think the first step in the ricotta recipe serves that purpose.