A question about a recipe: Slab Shortcake with Roasted Rhubarb

F2497d66 0ba8 4d77 b757 21915ecc3f39  2018 0516 slab shortcake with roasted rhubarb 3x2 rocky luten 017

I have a question about the recipe "Slab Shortcake with Roasted Rhubarb" from Erin McDowell. To reiterate... a weight on the rhubarb? Thx :)

asked by nancy sutton 5 months ago

For weight questions, I always go to a nutrition data base, which gives food values by common weights (oz, 100g) or volumes (cup).
They also give weights & nutrient values for produce and meat, by common sizes as grown or sold.
Raw rhubarb stalk, for example, comes in at 51g each. So 12 of them make 612g.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/2056/2

Erin McDowell
Erin McDowell

Baking consultant at large at Food52, and author of The Fearless Baker (Fall 2017)

Great advice, Nancy! The last time I made it, I used just about 1 1/4 pounds! It’s pretty easy to eyeball it based on how much fruit topping you’d personally prefer!

Erin - I always dither about answering a question on a recipe...
* on one hand, afraid to step on author's toes,
* on other, want to help baker/cook if I have info.
Nice to hear that you liked the answer.
PS It's easy to eyeball the recipe once you've made it, but for the first time - or to scale up/down - it's nice to know weight.