Help!!! Swiss Meringue from Hell

Help!! I am making Swiss meringue buttercream, I place my egg whites, sugar and a pinch of salt in a Bain-Marie until sugar dissolves. Then I whisk in my mixer but it is like marshmallow paste. It will not firm at all and I have attempted this four times!

asked by Monica Fonseca 3 months ago

Very helpful site that I have used for the same issue: gretchensbakery.com
She answers questions like the one you have, offers tips and the recipe is now the only one I use.
Good luck!

Bridget

It's like marshmallow paste AFTER you add the butter? Or before?

I only ask because you didn't mention adding the butter; just cooking the egg whites/sugar and then whipping them.

Because Swiss meringue at that point is essentially marshmallow before you start adding the butter.