How do you know if a raw sweet potato is still good? Our grocery store says that they are good for 5 or 6 days after purchase. Thanks

Seems like they should be good for much longer than that. Thanks.

spuntino
spuntino March 8, 2011

They are absolutely still good 5-6 days later. I keep them around until they start to sprout or get soft. After that, I don't use them.

thirschfeld
thirschfeld March 8, 2011

I am guessing you are talking pre-peeled sweet potatoes. If you keep them covered in a container I think they are good for two or three days before they start to oxidize. I would ask the grocer though if they are treated with sulfites which would allow them to retain color and look good for 5 or 6 days but probably not so tasty. If they are whole un peeled sweet potatoes spuntino is on the money. You can take the potato and put it in water and let the sprouts grow and then plant the sprouts. They make for beautiful vines and ground cover.

Panfusine
Panfusine March 8, 2011

sweet potatoes last for a long time if they're purchased whole. you shdn't worry about them for at least 2 weeks. if you cut one & use only half of it, then just store the remaining in the refrigerator. the cut end becomes dark due to the oxidation of starch, but that can be cut off & the rest reused (assuming you haven;t peeled the skin off)

cookbookchick
cookbookchick March 8, 2011

I have found that sweet potatoes don't keep nearly as long as other potatoes. I buy them only when I want to cook them -- as opposed to having potatoes around "just in case." I don't know what a potato expert would recommend, but if I can't use sweet potatoes in three or four days after purchase, I stick them in the fridge, unwrapped, until I can cook them.

ChefJune March 8, 2011

Like other potatoes, sweet potatoes don't keep well in a refrigerator. My experience is that they do just fine in a cool, dry storage space for months, Unfortunately, most of us don't have "root cellars" as our ancestors did, where they stored onions, potatoes, beets, and even carrots and turnips over the winter. But a cool, dark closet will do the trick for your potatoes, sweet and otherwise.

Nora
Nora March 8, 2011

I live in NC, and we produce more sweet potatoes than any other state. I keep them on hand just about all the time, stored a cooler than room temperature, where air and circulate. They keep very well, though not forever. As long as they are firm(ish) and not sprouting, they're fine.
http://www.ncsweetpotatoes.com/