A question about a recipe: Margaret Fox's Amazon Chocolate Cake

I have a question about the recipe "Margaret Fox's Amazon Chocolate Cake" from Genius Recipes. I want to make this for a friend who doesn't eat eggs but is fine with dairy. My question is 1) can I use butter instead of oil? and if so, would that be a direct substitution? (I am hoping it will be more flavorful that way) 2) out of curiosity--what role does vinegar play here?

• Posted by: Jusika
  • August 21, 2018

Jusika August 22, 2018
thanks a ton! I am making this tmr morning, and can't wait to share the results with my friend, and also here!

Nancy August 22, 2018
Or, if you want to use softened but not melted butter, use about 6 tbsp (6.25 in fact) and remove 1 tbsp water from the 1c called for in the recipe.
These measures reflect the composition of butter (about 80% fat, 20% water) compare to oil (100% fat).

Kristen M. August 21, 2018
Sure, go ahead and use the same amount of (melted) butter—I'm sure it will be even more delicious. The vinegar reacts with the baking soda to create the leavening (since there are no eggs or creamed butter to give it lift), just like those homemade volcanoes at the science fair!