A question about a recipe: Margaret Fox's Amazon Chocolate Cake

Ffcd4803 ce58 48bb 961c ec16ecaa9b0c  2013 1001 genius chocolate cake 450

I have a question about the recipe "Margaret Fox's Amazon Chocolate Cake" from Genius Recipes. I want to make this for a friend who doesn't eat eggs but is fine with dairy. My question is 1) can I use butter instead of oil? and if so, would that be a direct substitution? (I am hoping it will be more flavorful that way) 2) out of curiosity--what role does vinegar play here?

asked by Jusika 2 months ago

Sure, go ahead and use the same amount of (melted) butter—I'm sure it will be even more delicious. The vinegar reacts with the baking soda to create the leavening (since there are no eggs or creamed butter to give it lift), just like those homemade volcanoes at the science fair!

Or, if you want to use softened but not melted butter, use about 6 tbsp (6.25 in fact) and remove 1 tbsp water from the 1c called for in the recipe.
These measures reflect the composition of butter (about 80% fat, 20% water) compare to oil (100% fat).

Jusika

thanks a ton! I am making this tmr morning, and can't wait to share the results with my friend, and also here!