Boiled Eggs - Instant Pot - Can't find my sweet spot!

I like my eggs about 6-7 minutes eggs...not completely hard boiled but not gooey either! For whatever reason, I have tried cooking them at 5 minutes, 6 minutes, and 7 minutes with natural release one minute, or sometimes two minutes, or sometimes quick release. Unfortunately I'm not able to achieve the middle ground. I get overcooked or very soft boiled. Do you have any insights or tips to help me achieve perfect, in the middle eggs? I love using the pressure cook method for the ease of peeling, so I don't want to return to the stove method.

asked by Stephanie G 3 months ago

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

Hi Stephanie! Here's an awesome article all about cooking eggs in the Instant Pot: https://food52.com/blog.... Hope it helps!

paseo

I can't be bothered to haul out the IP for eggs (much as I like the thing). And I have never found my sweet spot either, so I went back to steaming them and they come out perfect for my taste every time. Check out Serious Eats for useful information.

Jerry

I cook them under pressure for 4 minutes then completely turn off the Instant Pot by unplugging the machine (not even letting the IP's "keep warm" function to kick in). I then wait exactly 4 minutes and then do a quick release of the pressure. The eggs then immediately go into bowl of ice water until they have cooled completely. I get very soft but not gooey yolks.

Jerry

And I forgot to mention, I use a generous cup full of water.

ktr
ktr

I cook mine on low pressure for 5 minutes and then do a quick release and then either put them in an ice bath or fill the pot with ice.