I have just made several pounds of Scarpetta's tomato sauce. Can I freeze the leftovers in strong plastic bags and just break off some for future use?

Scarpetta tomato sauce, how to freeze

asked by Helen Drezner about 1 month ago

MMH
MMH
added about 1 month ago

I freeze my recipe in 1 or 2 cup portions in 1 quart freezer bags. For me it’s more manageble that way.

added about 1 month ago

Helen - I freeze tomato sauce similar to MMH, but - if you want to save space or prefer it that way - you could freeze it flat in plastic bags. Then open, cut off a chunk for use, freeze what's left for later.

added about 1 month ago

I freeze sauce (and leftovers) in serving size portions. Some are a single serving, others for a full family dinner.

Exbruxelles
added about 1 month ago

Yes, you can. It's a great idea, in fact.

added about 1 month ago

Don't know what your experience may be in this sort of thing, but breaking some off may not be so very easy, and hard to be accurate with.. Of course there are alternatives- if your portion sizes are not predictable enough to package it that way, you can always partially thaw (a microwave is good for this) or saw it off- my mother always kept a hacksaw in the kitchen for this purpose, though usually for meat. I must say it produced some peculiar saw dust.

Susan
added about 1 month ago

How about freezing small amounts in muffin pans, then once frozen, tipping into a ziplock bag for longer-term storage?