A question about a recipe: Alice Medrich's Best Cocoa Brownies

D0130c7d e57a 43e5 bc9c 59b1477becc1  best cocoa brownies genius desserts 213 1

I have a question about the recipe "Alice Medrich's Best Cocoa Brownies" from Genius Recipes. The butter in these sometimes separates and I don't know why. I've made this recipe at least a dozen times, but every once in a while the batter is more of a solid than it is a liquid. And then as it bakes, the butter rises to the top and they just end up sort of funky (in both taste and texture). I am confident that I'm making the recipe correctly. The only thing that varies ingredient-wise is which cocoa powder I'm using. What could be causing this?

asked by juliunruly 28 days ago

Matilda Luk

This happened to me a couple of times, which I chalked up to not enough stirring. You really have to put some muscle into the action after you add the flour--there isn't very much flour in the recipe, so don't be afraid to over stir, like in a cake recipe. The gluten development is very little and you really need to emulsify the batter in order to prevent separation in the oven.