Short on time. How many oz of dried cubes would a 1 1/2 loaf with the crusts removed yield?

Will need to buy unseasoned croutons.

asked by foodluver about 1 month ago

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

added about 1 month ago

Hi! Can you share the recipe that you're looking at? Bread loaf weights depend on their type and size—but a lot of loaves are about 1 pound.

foodluver
added about 1 month ago

i just want to know how many oz. of bread cubes would a 1-1/2 lb loaf of soft white bread (with crusts removed) yield. Sorry about leaving out the lb earlier.

Gammy
added about 1 month ago

Interesting question and a bit tough to figure. You are asking what a 24 oz (pound and a half) fresh loaf of bread would reduce to once the crusts have been removed and the croutons have been dehydrated in the oven, correct? There are 2 variables here... how much crust and amount of hydration would be removed in the process, both will change the final weight. Instead, I would look at the physical size of that 24 oz loaf and compare it to the size a bag of croutons, maybe 2 bags, maybe 3, knowing that the dried croutons will take up more space in their bag than an intact loaf would. Assuming you are making a recipe where an exact amount isn't critical, you should be fine.

foodluver

Update - I used 1 1/2 (24 oz) of country bread and air dried it for 1 day. I removed the crusts, cut the bread into cubes and baked them in a single layer in a 300 degree oven (stirring occasionally) until lightly browned. The cubes weighed 12 oz after baking.

Gammy

Perfect, thanks for sharing your results!