I’m probably going to cook my turkey in a gas oven. I have always used electric. Is there anything I need to know or do differently?

I am fortunate to have both a gas and a electric oven so I could use electric, but I thought I would use the electric for the side dishes. This range is new to me and while I will only use a gas stove, I haven’t done much with the gas oven. Help.

asked by Debbie Shpall 22 days ago

Hana Asbrink
Hana Asbrink

Senior Lifestyle Editor

Hi Debbie - Lucky for you, It seems there are no noticeable differences whether you cook your bird in a gas or electric oven (feel free to peruse this helpful thread as well: https://food52.com/hotline...).

As in all oven cases, you will likely have a hotter zone (back) and cooler one (front), so it will be important to keep an eye on the turkey as it roasts and rotate it to get a nice, even coloring all around.

Good luck and happy Thanksgiving!

Debbie Shpall

thank you for taking a little stress off the table! excited to see how it turns out.

Happy thanksgiving

Shouldn't be any different. I have used both and they both cook very well. Happy Thanksgiving🦃!

I think gas ovens are a little drier, but not enough to make much difference; certainly not with 50 lbs. of turkey in there.