Will placing a turkey in 50 degree refrigerator for two hours before moving to a cooler refrigerator spoil the turkey?

Turkey is completely thawed (five days in Kroger cooler). 20 pounds. Butterball. Now in 35 degree refrigerator.

asked by Taylor Moore 21 days ago

Emma Laperruque
Emma Laperruque

Food Writer & Recipe Developer at Food52

Hi Taylor! If it has to be in the 50°F fridge for some amount of time, I would recommend either shortening that time to under 2 hours or trying to lower the fridge temperature around the turkey with some bags of ice (or both). The CDC notes that "Bacteria can grow rapidly in the 'danger zone' between 40°F and 140°F"—so just always best to be extra cautious. Hope this helps and have a happy Thanksgiving!