Yes, another turkey cooking time question!

I have a 17 pound stuffed turkey that's been dry-brined for two days. It'll go into a 425-degree oven for 30 minutes, then cook at 350-degrees. How long to cook it? I'm estimating 4 hours? Thoughts? Happy Thanksgiving, all.

• Posted by: DebJ
  • November 28, 2013

Monita November 28, 2013

I think your estimate is about right, unless your turkey is stuffed, then it could take longer. I always check the internal temp 1/2 hour before the ending time because you never know how the oven is heating. A thermometer should read 165 in the thickest part of the thigh for it to be done

DebJ
DebJ November 28, 2013

Yes, the turkey is stuffed. The recipe I'm following allows 3.5 hours for a 17 pound UNSTUFFED bird. So Maybe 4 hours isn't enough?

Monita November 28, 2013

Check it at 4 hours. The challenge with a stuffed turkey is that the turkey may reach a cooked temp but the stuffing doesn't. If your turkey is done at 4 hours but the stuffing is undercooked you might want to consider removing the stuffing and finish cooking it in a dish so that the turkey doesn't get overcooked.

DebJ
DebJ November 28, 2013

Perfect solution. Thanks!! Enjoy your day Monita.

Monita November 28, 2013

You too!

Jenn
Jenn November 28, 2013

The temp of the turkey breast needs to reach 165 degrees and dark meat 175 degrees. Take temp at thickest parts of each without hitting the bone. With a stuffed turkey once meat has reached those temps take it out and take stuffing temp. If it's not 165 degrees scoop out and continue to bake separately so it's safe and turkey meat doesn't dry out.

Jenn
Jenn November 28, 2013

I see Monita's response went through as I sent mine. Happy Thanksgiving to both of you!

Jenn
Jenn November 28, 2013

clarification - dark meat can be between 170-175 degrees.