How to I spread butter on the turkey without it being 'crystallized' or flaky?

Every recipe, through the years, calls for spreading butter on the turkey and spices. I've tried to melt the butter, leave it at room temperature, or blend it with oil. It always flaked on me, which is impossible to spread smoothly. Please advise.

asked by Tamar 25 days ago

Cory Baldwin

Hi Tamara! It sounds like your butter is too cold to spread. Are you mixing the butter with the spices first as a compound butter? I’d suggest leaving your butter in a warm area so it’s soft before dumping it in a bowl and mixing it up with the spices — this mixing/whipping action will also make it more spreadable. If your butter is still too cold to spread, try leaving that bowl of compound butter on top of the stove for a few minutes at a time. But overall, I’d say don’t stress too much about it! It will melt as soon as your bird is in the oven, and you can always brush more on as you roast for more even coverage.