We have HALF of a 22 pound turkey (split front to back) from a local farm. How on earth should I cook this, and for how long (given no cavity)?

My daughter helped “process” the turkeys the other day and came home with this!

asked by Gretchen 18 days ago

Hi Gretchen. Lucky you! Your turkey will cook much more evenly and quickly than a whole bird. Do you have the backbone?

Gretchen

I do, yes! Thanks for your help!!

Gretchen

3 hours maybe??? Should I lay it cavity-side down? Will I still get some drippings?

Sorry for the delay! Yes, cavity-side down and you'll definitely get some drippings. It's not brined, right? Do you want to cook it low and slow or at high heat?

Gretchen

However best to get it done by a target 3pm (East coast) sitdown 😉

Gretchen

And no, not brined

Ok, I'd go with this method, which is simple and has always given me excellent results: https://food52.com/recipes.... As for cooking time, I'd start checking the temperature after about an hour and 15 minutes since you're not cooking a whole bird. It may take closer to 2 hours because of the size, but better safe than sorry! Oh, and definitely salt the inside and outside of the turkey before you put it in -- the recipe doesn't call for salt.

Gretchen

Thank you so much, happy Thanksgiving!!!

You too! Hope it works out beautifully!