Why add flakes sea salt on top of cookies?

I always see chefs do it, but i'm not sure what exactly it does and how it makes regular cookies better.

asked by Kaitlyn716 15 days ago

Stephanie B.

It's just a taste preference. The flakes of salt add a hit of saltiness that goes well with some flavors, if you're into it. The flakes dissolve quickly and don't leave a lingering salt taste in your mouth, so the whole cookie doesn't taste too salty. Plus there shouldn't be much sprinkled on. Personally, I like the flaky salt on browned butter chocolate chip cookies where a little salt amps up the nutty butter tones and goes well with the chocolate. I wouldn't care for salt on, say, a jam thumbprint cookie. But that's just me. The best way to figure out if you like salt on cookies is simply to try it yourself: buy one next time you pass a bakery that sprinkles salt on their cookies and see if you like it.

At least in my neighborhood (SF Bay Area), this fad peaked about 5-6 years ago and quickly faded; I don’t know about adoption in other parts of the country.

I have traveled abroad during that time and noted that the fad was not adopted at all elsewhere.

If you are a baker, it is very easy to sprinkle sea salt flakes on one or two cookies in a batch to judge how well it works.

It’s a taste preference thing. Do as you wish.

Best of luck.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I make many different baked goods and I find it really enhances some baked goods by adding another layer of flavor while enhancing the others. I wouldn't call it a fad, its salt....I think people are realizing that the more we move away from ultra-high sodium packed processed food, that its ok to use salt more liberally, yet strategically, in the home kitchen. I find that if you salt baked goods in layers, you have a more dynamic flavor profile. If I'm making chocolate chip cookies, I'll lightly salt the dough and then lightly salt the top with something a bit more complex (like a smoked salt or maldon). It is perceived differently by your tongue than if you just put all the salt in the cookie. I could just make Toll House cookies and sell them.....but people pay me for something they can't get at home.

It's a personal preference. I like to do it to some of my baked goods because the little bit of salt seems to round out the sweetness. Otherwise, it's just straight-out sweet and most times it's too much.