what is "powdered sugar"?

I'm looking at a recipe for "Puppy Chow" aka "Muddy Buddies" -- which is basically breakfast cereal bound together with peanut butter, chocolate, and butter, and then heavily coated with "powdered sugar".

I often recipes for sweets calling for powdered sugar. I've assumed it's the same as the confectioners's sugar I buy here in Canada. That has corn starch added to it.

Is confectioner's sugar interchangeable with powdered sugar?

Thank you.

  • Posted by: Ted
  • November 27, 2018


Emma L. November 27, 2018
Hi Ted! This product is made up of super-fine sugar mixed with a small amount of cornstarch to prevent caking. In the United States, the terms "powdered sugar" and "confectioners' sugar" are interchangeable, so you should be good to go. I've read that in Canada, this product is also sometimes called "icing sugar"—curious if you've seen that in the supermarket? Hope this helps! (Also, now I have a major puppy chow craving.)
Ted November 27, 2018
Thanks for your reply.

In every Canadian grocery store I've been in, confectioner's sugar is called "icing sugar". I don't see a product called "powdered sugar" anywhere. Although I have seen "10x" sugar, which is very very fine and sold in very small boxes. I think it's sometimes used in making cocktails?
Recommended by Food52