🔕 🔔

how long can ghee last in the fridge? mine is quite old but smells fine....

asked by @jestei over 6 years ago

A very, very long time. Anything that might spoil has been cooked out, and I think you would be able to smell any rancidity.

Are you talking about ghee or clarified butter?

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Ghee is made to last a long time, as Gale says. Ghee does not need to be refigerated, but I do.

Your nose would definitely detect rancidity - it's unmistakable. I'm sure you're fine!

4de32233 9b14 42ac bf6a 7a02a8474e54  dsc 0034

i keep my ghee in the cupboard and it lasts that way for months. as long as you never used a dirty spoon with bits of other food on it that could be growing mold, i think you're fine.

It last a long, long time. Months, even a year.

And ghee IS clarified butter, though there are other ways of making a clarified butter...