a friend returned from the Cairo spice market with vaduvan and z'atar - which is which? http://twitpic.com/4a4df9

asked by @MrsWheelbarrow over 7 years ago

za'atar is on the left.

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow

Cathy is a food preserving expert and author of Mrs. Wheelbarrow's Practical Pantry: Recipes and Techniques for Year-Round Preserving.

Thank you!

I wish I knew your friend!

FunkyLady

z'atar has sumac (dark red in color), sesame seeds, and thyme...so good on goat and lamb!

Here's some background and some links for the vaduvan:
http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2009/10/vadouvan-pantry-special-recipe-butternut-squash-soup.html
The Gourmet Magazine article was particularly interesting -- if it's still there. (Small tear!)