I cooked chicken breasts on the stove And accidentally left them sitting out from nine till 2am in the morning

I simmered chicken breasts on the stove to make a casseroles tomorrow. I left them cooling on the stove and forgot about them From 9am till 2am! Are they still good? I don’t want to make my in-laws Ill, But on the other hand, buying another two packs of chicken breasts is not cheap either.

• Posted by: Lorij
  • December 17, 2018

Lorij
Lorij December 17, 2018

Now that i think about it, it was more like 8pm-2am.

kat3029
kat3029 December 17, 2018

throw them out. you only have two hours - TOPS - to get cooked food back in the fridge. these are definitely not safe.

Jeannie
Jeannie December 17, 2018

From the point of sanitation, no, they are not good. If it was 9 pm- that could be a stretch.

BerryBaby December 17, 2018

It would cost more in doctor bills...sorry, they must be tossed!

PieceOfLayerCake December 17, 2018

I’d still eat them, but I live on the edge.

Lorij
Lorij December 17, 2018

Thank you for your answers, everyone!!! I will drop another 20 and buy another couple packs of chicken breasts as suggested. ☹️ My husband is adamant that it’s probably OK so I made make him some chicken salad and let him eat the ones that got left Since he is so determined. He is basing this off of his past experience working in a restaurant, oh my! 😬. I will let you know how he is, LOL.

PieceOfLayerCake December 17, 2018

If you were just eating them yourself, I’d say they’re fine....but if you’re serving them for an occasion to guests, I wouldn’t take any chances.

Joel
Joel December 17, 2018

Rule of thumb in food safety is get it out of the "danger zone" within 6 hours. Danger zone is 40 to 140 degrees. You are skirting with the edge if not in the trouble spot. Id say chicken is cheap enough to concede to the trash rather than test the microbes/botchulism gods wrath.