Sliding Pie Crust

Why do my pie crusts slide down? I pierce the crust fully, and whether I pre-bake the crust, or fill it as in a pot pie, the crust slides down the sides of the pie plate or dish. Help!

• Posted by: Toni
  • December 30, 2018

Ttrockwood
Ttrockwood December 31, 2018

- most common not letting crust rest. Mix into ball, cover and chill let rest in fridge half hr or more.
- roll out to right size and line pie plate, don’t stretch it! use pie weights. Over rolling and over stretching make it shrink/slide when baking
-let rest again! Just while making filling, or another 15-30min in fridge
- then blind bake
- be sure to use proper pie plate with gentle slant to the sides, deep dish and straight side pans can be problematic because of too straight sides

Happygoin
Happygoin January 6, 2019

Here’s what else you might try: when you put the rolled-out dough into the tart or pie pan, rather than trimming to the edges of the pan, leave them overhanging. Add your pie-weights (or beans, rice etc). Par-bake for about 10-13 minutes.

Take it out if the oven, and THEN trim the edges with a sharp paring knife. Finish baking. Your crust won’t shrink for the final bake.